A dispensary is a facility where patients and caregivers can purchase medical marijuana as an option. There shall be at least one registered marijuana dispensary in each of the eight (8) districts of the state. It must be preferred by a registered patient and is required to be indicated as such on the patient’s designation form. A dispensary for medical marijuana cannot operate without a department-issued certification of registration.
Visiting a Dispensary
A person must be at least 21 years of age or above to be able to enter a dispensary. No one is allowed to use marijuana in any medical marijuana dispensary.To acquire medical marijuana in a dispensary, a non-registered patient must present the original current phycisian’s written certification. A registry identification card is required for voluntarily registered patients together with a valid Maine Identification.
Starting a Dispensary
To start a dispensary, the Department of Health and Human Service requires the facility to register and submit a complete application form with all required documentation and the required application fee. The applicant must be at least 21 years of age and have no background of drug felony conviction.
- Specific security equipments are required, such as having video surveillance cameras, exterior lightings, and limitations to unauthorized entrances and policies or procedures in place to prevent unauthorized access to medical marijuana dispensaries.
- The medical marijuana facility must provide an on-site parking area.
- A dispensary must maintain good standing with the Secretary of State.
- Must have a business plan demonstrating a non-profit organization.
- Conflicts of interest must be avoided by board members, such as direct and indirect gains, which could increase the accumulation of payments.
- Must not be located within 500 feet of the property line of a public or private school.
6 Wellspring Road
Biddford, ME 04005
Monday: 12:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Tuesday and Friday: 10:30 am – 5:30 am
Wednesday and Thursday: 10:30 am – 6:30 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am – 02:00 pm